Saturday, January 24, 2009

Entering the Sub Central Labyrinth

Really, when we all look back, how many of us can recall EVER thinking that a SUBSTITUTE in a school classroom was actually going to TEACH us anything?

So there I am, last fall, completing my MASTERS in TEACHING at a NY graduate school... and trying to get a full time position in the city's 'urban schools'... trying and trying and trying... and dealing with the NYC Dept of Education ... and filling out applications online, sending out resumes with every possible course completed, internship done... easily more credits in the courses than most I meet... and yet NO JOBS..... and nothing from the school I attend or from the city in the way of actual job help.

Another equally qualified, and even more experienced teacher I know... and I.. eventually shuffle BACK to the DOE main offices with SUBSTITUTE License papers in tow.. and go to some tiny disheveled room on the upper floors. No line, just a few women sitting and chatting and someone eventually nods in our direction.

It takes all of about 30 mins... to show the transcript (from just our Bachelor's program..they say to our Master's transcripts, "we dont need these..." !!), a couple of recommendations saying we are who we say we are, and fingerprinting clearance... a photo for our 'SMARTCARD's .. and we are off . Licenses arrive in our respective mailboxes about two weeks later. A paper that says we have most of the credits 'required' and that in the next 12 months, more 'professional development' is to be had. Again, had they even looked at our graduate records, they would have found more than enough of those....but later on that matter...

Now, with the Substitute License, ID card and file number it becomes possible (so says the letter that accompanies the packet) to 'register for SUBCentral'. Call a local number, punch in file number and birth date, and say what dates and times you are available... Sounds good, so after a few days looking at the papers, I make the call (will it, I wonder, change my life?). After several years of studying, then student teaching and job hunting, substitute teaching seems a fine enough way to see a school..make contacts inside the hallways and perhaps find a full time position. I make the call, login to the phone call system, and wait.

Several days later, the phone rings. I pick up; it is the 'personal' voice of the NEW YORK CITY DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION, SUB CENTRAL SYSTEM... It prompts me to enter my file number...which I proceed to do.. twice. At which point, the system says, "GOODBYE" and hangs up on me...

I call the HR division (a number provided on the forms).. and eventually do speak with a person who informs me that, "YES," I must 'be on the system' since it dialed my number, but that also, "you have to be fast" the person on the line tells me ..." or it hangs up"... and with that, she too hangs up on me. Okay, I think, wait and see. wait for tomorrow and see.

It's again another few days before SUBCentral comes looking for me. This time I am ready: with file number on my fingertips, I punch in the number, following the prompts.. and there I am. I have entered SUBCentral !! Thrilled (really!, but in retrospect why ??) I continue and get my very first NYC Substitute Teaching Assignment. An English position (that's good since that is what I am licensed for) at a local school in Brooklyn. I finish dressing, grab my notebook and pencils and head out to my very first day. I am ready, open to adventure and entirely positive about the possibilities. I will be a teacher for a day, I tell myself. Why not? I have always been a teacher (at heart) and everyone unequivocably has told me that I am gifted at teaching, that my regard and love for students and teaching is beyond reproach. How difficult can this be, I wonder quickly, then dismiss as I enter the school entryway for the very first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment